Tuesday, February 22, 2011

a prayer for sew

This week at ICSB is Spiritual Emphasis Week (SEW). It's a pretty anticipated week where a special speaker comes in and we have chapel every day. I've been joining the middle school chapels. The past couple days, as I sat toward the back watching the students worship and listen, I couldn't help but wonder what's going on in their minds. What sort of things are these kids bringing to this time? What consumes their world? Furthermore, I thought about the fact that we were all brought into this room intentionally. So why am I here? What in the world am I doing in Hungary sitting through a middle school spiritual emphasis week? I'm pretty sure I'm never going to know the full extent of those answers, but I also think I miss catching on to what God is communicating when I begin to go through the motions of life.

So in light of all that, I began praying during one of the worship times. Or at least, trying to pray. I feel a little 'out of tune' right now; my prayer was really just asking for direction in how to pray. Asking that I would see what He desires me to bring before Him. As I was praying this, I was also hearing the students singing "And Your bride will be so beautiful". It was in that moment that two things came in my mind. Two things to pray for ...

The first thing that came to mind was a picture of Christ making His bride beautiful. I love that image. It doesn't take much at all for me to feel ugly. My flesh is definitely an ugly place. But Christ makes us beautiful. Have you ever met those people that overflow with genuine joy? Their eyes sparkle. They smile a lot. They love on people. That's the kind of beauty I picture. The majority of these students have made committments to Christ and He has begun a work in their life. My prayer is that this week would deepen that. I desire for these students to see that their Savior is making them beautiful. He's getting His bride dressed, perfecting her, adorning her, making her breathtaking.

I also thought about this idea of marriage and the covenant relationship that it represents. There are several students in this school who haven't received this relationship. Some may not understand it. Or worse, there are probably those students who think they have it because they know so much about it, but know nothing of the transforming experience of being in a relationship with Christ. So I'm praying also that covenant commitments would be made. That as the bride of Christ begins to radiate in beauty, those who are not part of it would be drawn in. That the attraction of Christ would be irresistible.

The week isn't over and I'm writing this on here simply to ask you all to pray with me. I so deeply desire for people to know Christ, personally and intimately. Right now that desire is focused in on the individuals in this school. So ... we value your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment