Friday, October 12, 2012

surprised by joy

I slept in this morning - unintentionally. I get up early for a reason. I love morning and I don't like when it gets robbed. But this morning I was pleasantly surprised, because I didn't seem to mind the delayed start. I didn't panic that I was late or feel disappointed that I lost some of the quietest moments of my day. It actually felt like a gift, or like someone was taking care of me. As if Jesus were saying, "You could use a little more rest. You'll enjoy the day I've made for you so much more if you aren't tired. So sleep a little longer and wake up to Me."

I think waking up to Him is exactly what happened because my heart is unusually glad. Everything is making me smile ... the warmth of the house after finally turning on our heat, the sweater I'm wearing that I got free from a friend after a series of random events, the song that has been running through my head, the walk to school, the sweet perspective of that student expressed in a comment, the laughter that erupted as a result, and on and on I could go ...

The truth is, I experience these sort of simple moments every day and I'm smart enough to realize that they are not the source of the joy I feel. There's something deeper going on down there, something outside of me, something real. It's as if joy is not a response, it's a condition. I'm joyful and therefore I enjoy it all.

This blog entry has no real point. I started writing because this sort of 'gladness' isn't easily contained. It just started pouring over - into my hands and through the pen. Jesus is alive and my eyes are sparkling. He lives and I can't stop smiling. We are loved. We are wanted. We are taken care of and pursued. Praise Him.

It feels so good to praise Him.

1 comment:

  1. Well this was a lovely post to wake up to. Thanks for the reminder to rest in the joy. Love you much.

    ReplyDelete